If you are the proud owner of a small business or if you help to market one in some shape or form,
Then you know how important it is to get awareness.
When prospects need a service or a product, they are going to do 2 things:
- Grab their phones
- Search for that service or product on Google, Bing or Yahoo (yes, you read that right, Yahoo).
Your website should be ranking high enough in the search engine so that your prospects choose you over your competition.
In order to do this,
You should have a strategy that incorporates content, backlinks, and more.
That's where search engine optimization tools come in handy - they can help you find the appropriate keywords and monitor your awareness progress, even if you aren’t the Grant Cardone of Search Engine Optimization.
The fun part?
...Finding the right SEO tool. The market is just saturated with them, and picking the one that will make sense for your business can be time consuming,
That's why I checked out some of the best out there and picked the ones that will make a greater impact on your business.
1. Moz Pro
Cost: Free 30-Day Trial | $99/mo
Moz Pro is a software product that can help you take care of key aspects of SEO.
It is user friendly and a small business can get it up and running pretty quick.
- Tracks your ranking efficiently
- Keyword research and analysis
- On-page optimization
- Visualizes your data
- Search engine results page (SERP) analysis
- On-page grader
- Compares links and competitors
Overall Moz is very user driven and provides easy to read stats such as rankings for you vs. your competition. It also shows techniques to help you on your growth journey.
A favorite amongst small business owners and SEO experts alike.
SEMRush delivers strong SEO guidance, reports, and full technical site audits.
It also has the potential to help you manage your social media, and dives into paid ads opportunities for you and your competition,
With a centralized section where you can schedule posts, analyze your traffic, and identify the best opportunities to reach your prospects.
- Site Audit Tool
- Check your site’s SEO health
- Domain vs. Domain comparisons
- Analyze Google ranking factors affecting your website’s performance
- Track SEO optimization progress
- Ensure the security of your website with HTTPS checks
- Keyword research
- Find the right keywords for your SEO campaign
- Find keywords with less competition
- Use keyword grouping to segment your keywords by topic
- Keywords position tracking
- Backlink Audit Tools
- Find all your backlinks using SEMRush’s search console integration
- Check backlinks’ types
- Spot your links’ geolocation
- Organic Traffic Insights
- Unlock the ‘not provided‘ keywords
- Merge analytics and search console data
- Analyze keyword potential
With such a great product, SEMRush can help you grow your small business and get better at marketing by tracking and fixing things that are impacting your marketing efforts negatively.
3. Screaming Frog
I know you are wondering,
What the hell is a screaming frog?
...Screaming Frog is a globally used SEO tool!
Cost: Free (With Limitations) / $149.00 per-year
Screaming Frog can help you see which title tags and descriptions you have on your pages, very quick. But its true power lies in its very quick crawling tool.
It can show you your overall SEO health.
A good thing is that...
...the free version offers a fantastic way to run technical SEO audits.
- Crawl your full site and lists
- Audit redirects
- Crawl path reports
- Plug into APIs
- Custom extractions and configurations
- Analyze internal linking
- Find orphaned and broken pages
- Identify missing & duplicate titles
- Identify missing & duplicate meta descriptions
- Find images missing alt text
Cost: Free 7-Day Trial | $79/mo
Does a tool that shows your SEO progress excite you?
Buzzsumo is that and more.
With its core content insight tools you can determine which keywords are worth your time, and what content is performing best on your website.
- Discover the most shared content across social networks
- Find influencers for any topic
- Setup keyword mention alerts
- Track your competitor’s content performance
- Get up to 12 months of data
- Discover interesting and trending content
- Export data
Another difference with Buzzsumo is that,
It has a tool to help you find the keywords that top influencers and competitors are using on their content. In addition, you can see actual posts and content for ideas and outreach campaigns.
Cost: 7-day trial for $7 | $99/mo
If you are looking to have a bigger impact with your SEO and kicking your competition's butt, Ahrefs could be a good fit.
You can very easily reduce guesswork because this tool can dive deep into trackable metrics and technical issues.
Not to mention,
Analyze with precision the backlinks that are helping you rank or tanking your ascension in search engine results.
- Site Explorer
- Gives an in-depth look at the organic search traffic and backlink profile of any website or URL
- See what keywords your competitors are ranking & which pages bring in the most traffic
- See which website are linking to your competitors and gauge the quality of their backlink profile
- Keywords Explorer
- Discover thousands of great keywords to rank for, analyse their ranking difficulty, calculate traffic potential
- Accurate “search volume”
- Keyword difficulty score
- Content Explorer
- Discover the most popular content for any topic (by backlinks, organic traffic and social shares)
- Research top content and discover new content opportunities
- Filter by: Language, social shares, domain rating, backlinks, traffic, word count
- Rank Tracker
- Monitor your rankings over time and chart your performance against your competitors’.
- Site audit to see under the hood of your website's on-page SEO performance.
- Alerts for new & lost backlinks, web mentions, and new keywords.
Overall, Ahrefs has the tools that will provide you with a better understanding of your current SEO wins or losses, as well as what keywords you can use to improve your current situation.
6. Google Analytics
Google Analytics has very good metrics that you can use to take action when it comes to your SEO.
- Measure traffic by device type
- Sitespeed by page
- Setup conversions / goals
- Identify your user’s demographics
- Look at new & returning visitors
- Real-time reporting
- Group traffic by channels
- Campaign tracking
- Add custom alerts
- Add annotations
- Automate reporting
- Build conversion funnels
- Use regular expressions (REGEX)
- Calculated metrics
- Site search
Although using Google's free tool can be overwhelming at first...
...especially if you are new to digital marketing.
There are plenty of videos and tutorials out there that can help you utilize this valuable tool, so you can start to take action and grow your business, bringing much needed awareness to your community.
Co-founder of Humble Fox Media, Thrive Global Contributor & Small Business Marketing Expert. I have helped many local businesses with their digital marketing needs for more than 4 years. In my off time, you can find me tasting some local beers around Gig Harbor, WA. Searching for music from the 90’s at a vinyl record shop near you and playing guitar with my band Pastel Dream.